Thursday, February 11, 2010

Swiss Chard, Anyone?


Had Swiss Chard for the first time a couple of weeks ago and meant to write a post. It was high on my list of new veggies to try, especially because they remind of collard greens. According to "Cancer-Fighting Kitchen" Author Rebecca Katz, swiss chard is a powerful cancer-fighting food. She says Betalain, a pigment in Swiss chard is also being studied for potential anticancer properties. Some experts believe certain foods - mainly vegetables - make your body less hospitable to cancer, while others, such as white flour and sugar help it thrive. All I know is swiss chard was tasty and quick. I simmered some olive oil, garlic and onions in a pan and threw in the chard and some Worcestershire sauce and a bit of cumin. Ready in no time. And then for dessert, I had ... ice cream. But at least I coated my stomach with that "Betalain" stuff first. Sigh. Baby steps.

1 comment:

  1. Green is always good! Emm, emm Chard! Maya sharing this journey with everyone is so couragous. Writing is a powerful tool, and blogging about this challenge in your life will surely empower others. You have my ears, my cheers, and my prayers.

    No Stress, God Bless,

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete