Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snowblivion

What a week. Despite the historic "Snowblivion" here in the D.C. area, I made it to the cancer center in Baltimore not just once, but twice, for two critical procedures. And now my doctors have collected enough of my stem cells to move on with the transplant at the end of the month. This is yet another blessing - mainly because it took a lot to get to the point in which my doctors could collect my stem cells. I got a super dose of chemotherapy last week that made me sick to my stomach. I also had to start injecting myself with a special medicine, and I had a catheter placed in my chest. Each of these steps had to be done within a strict timeline. So if the blizzards and icy roads had prevented me from getting to Bmore this week, I would have had to redo most of those steps and probably postpone the transplant. That would have been crushing and a huge setback. But thanks to two dear friends ... (and their white, magical, Hummer,) I made it to Baltimore on Monday in the aftermath of one of the worst snow storms ever for the DC area. Other people could barely walk down their driveways, let alone drive anywhere. That night, my moms - my mom and my husband's mom - made it in town after several cancelled flights. The next day, they took care of my son, while my husband and I hit the snowy roads again so that I could have my stem cells collected. To collect the cells, I was hooked up to a machine that withdrew my blood. The procedure is painless. I just laid on a hospital bed. But it can take two days for the technicians to successfully collect enough cells. Our goal, however, was to try to be home before the second blizzard got underway. We only had hours, not two days. We were able to leave the hospital around 4, right as the flurries started to come down. Soon after, we got good news from the hospital: in that one day, they collected twice as many stem cells as they had expected. Looking at all of the snow outside now, I smile with comfort because I can't believe I'm still on track for my transplant. I can't believe I made my appointments.... I can't believe I'm here, relaxing, spending time with my moms - cooking, laughing, talking. Things could have easily been derailed for me. But that wasn't the case, largely due to friends, family .. and that big, white magical Hummer.... And I'm still not sure how my moms made it here in all this snow.... And I can't believe I have such peace. I have cancer. I'm not supposed to feel this happy...I just smile and shake my head. What a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment