Friday, January 8, 2010

Special Picture




Every time I get down, something happens to remind me of my blessings. I get anxious about starting another round of chemo, and then I receive a picture of my husband and me with President Barack Obama and the first lady. As a reporter in D.C., it's easy to take things for granted. For instance, I didn't get excited the first time I was in the Oval Office because I was scrambling, trying to take notes and trying to make sure my recorder was working. But being at the White House for a holiday party the night before starting my first round of chemo easily stands out as something special, and seeing the picture that captures it all helps put me at ease. I wasn't distracted by work. I was on a very special date with my husband, listening to jazz and eating seafood, sushi (Can you believe the Obama's had sushi at their holiday party? It was good, though.) and cookies (which we brought back home for our son). I was weak and anemic and didn't think I'd feel like pulling myself together. But I'm so glad it worked out. It was a blessing to have that kind of access to the president even if the moment lasted about 2 minutes - just enough time to take the picture and for me to point out that my husband is also from Chi-town. Woops, did I say Chi-town? I meant to say Naperville. I might have told a white lie to the president. It was also a blessing to have some much-needed one-on-one time with my husband before starting treatment. It was definitely a date to remember. It was also a blessing to be able to pray with friends and family last night before heading to Baltimore for treatment this morning. Yesterday, I was starting to feel overwhelmed. Today, I feel refreshed.

No comments:

Post a Comment