Sunday, January 24, 2010



Ok. I think I'm addicted to cancer books. I know. It's so not sexy. But it's true. I can't put them down. I've set up a little haven in my room. I have candles on my desk, my prayer shawl on the back of my chair (a church group made it for me as they prayed. love it!), and a stack of books full of stories about cancer survivors and tips for beating cancer and information on chemotherapy. It's comforting. And when I get a new cancer book in the mail, I get giddy, hoping there's some tidbit of advice or data that helps me in some way. Having books around me just makes me feel better. Maybe it's because I'm realizing that cancer is way too common and as a reporter, I naturally want to learn as much as I can about this disease and serve as a resource to others. This thing has to be stopped. Is it our diet? the chemicals we use? our stressful lives? What's causing this thing? Who knows. But reading makes me feel a little better about it all. I guess I'm just trying to make sense of it all.

1 comment:

  1. Maya, glad that you're finding comfort in all the books and material that you're reading. Enjoy some music too to soothe your soul and lift your spirits!
    Love Ya, Bridgette R

    ReplyDelete